Assignment #11

Oppression means when cruel or unjust treatment that is prolonged. The difference between Violent and Non-Violent resistance is Violent Resistance to Oppression harms people and things but unlike Violent Resistance to Oppression Non-Violent Resistance to Oppression does not harm anyone or anything. Agency is the ability to determine the outcome of one’s own life. Oppressed people should use Non-Violent Resistance to gain Agency. Oppressed people should use Non-Violent Resistance to gain Agency because when I did my SeeClickFix project I had the ability to control what I want fixed in my life and I did not get hurt while doing it either. Another example of why Oppressed people should use Non-Violent Resistance to gain Agency because during the Oscar Grant protests the people used Violent Resistance and some of them ended up in Jail that night and that did not give them the ability to determine the outcome of their own life. 

To begin with, This document supports my answer to the essay question because when the people of Ferguson heard of another Police brutality against a young black man happening the people of Ferguson went to the streets to protest. This document is about the events that happened in Ferguson over Police brutality. This document is an article from the internet called “The 2014 Ferguson Protests Over The Michael Brown Shooting, Explained.” This article was written by German Lopez on January 27, 2016. Yes, The information provided by the source is reliable. The information provided by the source is reliable because it has a date that is recent and this information is not old news. A quote from this document that supports my answer is ”The shooting almost immediately triggered protests in the St. Louis suburb, as demonstrators took to the streets to speak out against what many saw as yet another example of police brutality against young black men.” This quote shows how oppressed people should use Non-Violent Resistance to gain agency because as soon as the people of Ferguson heard of another example of police brutality against a young black man they had a protest. At that protest they were able to voice their opinions therefore giving them agency to say whatever they want.

Next , the SeeClickFix document supports my answer to the essay question because people used Non-Violent Resistance to gain agency by reporting it to SeeClickFix and that is giving them the ability to fix something in their neighborhood they do not like. This document is about the statuses of everyone’s issue that was reported to SeeClickFix. This document is a data poster. This document was created by Jason Muniz on April 27 , 2018. The information provided in this document is Trustworthy because it was provided by a Primary Source. A quote from this document that supports my answer is “ Acknowledged Trash Dumping – 8” This quote shows why people should use Non-Violent Resistance to gain Agency because Nobody was harmed and the problem they wanted to fix got solved.

Lastly , The Oscar Grant Protests document supports my answer because oppressed people should use Non-Violent Resistance to gain agency so they do not have to go to jail and not have the ability to control what goes on in their life. This document is about what happened after a young black unarmed man was shot in Fruitvale BART. This document is an excerpt from an article titled “In California, Protests After Man Dies at Hands of Transit Police” This article was created by Jesse McKinley. This article was created on January 8, 2009. The information provided in the document is not trustworthy. The information in this document is not trustworthy because it is coming from a second source that was not at the event. Also the information in this document is coming from someone in New York and the shooting happened in California. A quote from this document that supports my answer to the question is “Police officers in riot gear responded with tear gas and nightsticks, and arrested protesters on charges of vandalism, unlawful assembly, rioting and assault on a police officer. “ The evidence I quoted shows why people should use Non-Violent Resistance to gain agency because if you use Violent Resistance you will go to jail and not be able to determine the outcome of your own life.